Saturday 31 December 2011

To build a fire ...





That is the title of a short story by Jack London, and it's also one of my goals this afternoon: a rather unsuccessful goal at the moment as all my attempts so far have gone up in smoke.  Haha.  Anyway, they've dwindled into literal ashes and I am still freezing cold after having pressure-washed a relatively small area of the concrete outside our house.  If you're wondering whether this is an attempt to make you feel sorry for me, you're probably right ... I could do with all the pity that's on offer right now!  :D  Just kidding.  So I need some fire building advice.  Jon's much better than I am at making fires, but he's off on a nine mile run right now so that's no help.  Ripple and Turko, out in the garage, aren't going to make this any easier either.  My father in law says (all the way from California) "It's a matter of progressive sizes of kindling, my dear."  That is as maybe, but it still isn't helping me ... and pfffftttt, another try at the fire goes out.  Aaaaaggggghhhhh!!!! ... and soon my fingers will be frozen to the keyboard so I won't be able to


Decided to turn the electric heater on instead.


3 comments:

  1. wont be able to ...... what? Cos it just sort of dwindles off into insignificance after that.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every good fire needs dry fuel and oxygen, so make sure newspaper is dry and scrumpled to contain as much air as possible, i.e. not too tightly. Kindling should also be dry, and laid slanting up cos fire burns upwards. Top with a little dry wood, not so much that you squash the newspaper, eliminating the air. Light in several places cos fire burns upwards. Holding a sheet of newspaper across the open fireplace a few inches above the hearth (รก la Nora - sorry can't find the right accent!) can help draw air in and under if the fire is struggling.

    That's the principle; now practice makes perfect!

    Mum

    ReplyDelete